Sunday, May 03, 2009

Cocina de Puebla


I saw today how Ruth, Alex's mom, made two exquisite and tasty dishes - f#1 fideo con tocino y salchica. #2 enchiladas blancas con chile poblano, queso mexicano...I'm in heaven! the occasion is a potluck for the ladies who walk dogs at the Point Isabel leash-free dog park. Since Laurita and I were able to help Ruth during the whole process, I saw the process and took copious notes. I can hardly wait to make these dishes myself.

Ruth was telling us about a group in Puebla that gets together and provides home-made meals at least once a month to those who need a little outing - last month 425 showed up! omigod. So, I told her I'd donate $20. and Laurita here told her the same. Then I told her that if we advertise an evening of authentic Puebla cooking, like Cocina with Ruth, we can charge $100 each person (maybe $125, due to supplies costs) - ( we are in SF Bay ARea after all) and they will take home some of the tasty food (I bet the food won't last 'til they get home) and a recipe. They will have spent time using their Spanish - since it'll be given in Spanish (with interpreters nearby) and with the chef herself. that way she can get some extra $$ for her cause in Puebla. Well, she's leaving town in a couple weeks, but now we have an idea and Laurita's going to do the desktop publishing to get everything ready, including recipe pages! I can hardly wait!

Now I'm resting from my morning - and will knit some more - Mi hija's afghan is ALMOST DONE! And I told Ruth I'd sew up the pants legs for 2 pairs of pants. She said it makes her embarassed to have me do it. I said how could I possibly thank her for the amazing cuisine she produces each and every week? At least there's some little thing I can do!

Thrifting bug - could not help it - went to salvation army on 7th St in Oakland - on 50% day. Bought an alpaca vest (as a cozy for my dining room chair) and another wool sweater at an Alamo yard sale.

No comments: