Sunday, October 21, 2007

Forbidden Fruit



I planted a second bush this summer . . . and now I have egg-sized feijoas on the big plant! I looked up some recipes - looks like some pulp in muffins, cakes are possibilities, and eating them raw. An LA times article says they sell for $1.99 apiece at Whole Paycheck - I mean whole foods.


All of the recipe suggestions I found were from people in New Zealand and Australia.


I think I'll try the muffin recipe tomorrow...will report on progress! Here's a recipe I'll try -- Apple and Feijoa Cake125g butter
1.5 cups grated apple
1.5 cups feijoa pulp
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Melt butter and let cool. Add apple and feijoa and mix well, then sugar and egg and mix. Sift dry ingredients and stir in sultanas and nuts. Add to fruit mixture and mix until combined. Bake in 25cm cake tin at 180 degrees C for 45-60 mins.Yummy with yoghurt or whipped cream especially when straight from the oven. Mmmmmm!!

No comments: